Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Boom Vang

Author Boom Vang
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977 22 Catalina

Hull No.

Hailing Port: West Dennis MA
07/24/2005 6:38 PM Pacific Time

Do I need a boom vang on my 22 77 catalina ? Also I am missing 2 turn buckles.. Can i use the new hollow cotter pin style instead of the cylinder type lock nut ones? Where can i get them ?

Thanks

Keith
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/24/2005 7:38 PM Pacific Time

A boom vang is optional, but I'd recommend it. It keeps the boom from raising when you sail off the wind.

You can use the open turnbuckles. They are available on this site (click Catalina 22, rigging, standinging rigging, turnbuckles--about $11). You can also get them at your local marine parts store.

If you trailer your boat and don't have roller furling, consider geting the quick release forestay lever. It is about $50, but makes stepping and dropping the mast much easier. It is also available on this site.
Alan Parker
Fresno, CA

Boat Name: Shadowfax

Model/Year: 22/1976

Hull No. 5990

Hailing Port: Friant Marina
07/28/2005 11:42 AM Pacific Time

Keith - I second Michael, it is a good thing to have on my '76 and you might want to install.
I don't have a mast stepper, but it'll be soon. Is the one from Cat Direct the best way to go? Anyone?
The turnbuckles are the same from PO and are in great shape - so no opinion...
Is there a website to look over different rigging options - I have internal halyards and would like to get everything back in the cockpit rather than having to go up top to raise sails... the PO took everything off so I imagine this might be costly...
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
07/28/2005 12:15 PM Pacific Time

I installed the CD step AND added the Haliyard plate as well. It is nice as it helps clean up the mast.
Michael & Barbara Day
Selma, Oregon

Boat Name: Godspeed II

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. 5316

Hailing Port: Howard Prairie Lake
07/29/2005 8:52 PM Pacific Time

Kieth,
I believe a vang is one of the most important sail controls you can have. Not only that, but the safety in case of an accidental jibe not taking out your backstay should give you a little peace of mind.
Mike

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Boom Vang