Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Do I need a cunningham and where to install

Author Do I need a cunningham and where to install
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
09/07/2005 11:42 AM Pacific Time

I have seen some comments on the use of a cunningham and how I need one to do this or that. First, where is a cunningham installed? Second, do I really need one? C, what's the downside if I don't have / install one?

John

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/07/2005 1:06 PM Pacific Time

a cunningham is a wonderful sail trimming device.....

send me your email address and I will try to find a picture of mine.......it tightens the leach of a mainsail...without pulling the boom down.......

it allows the leading edge of the main sail to not exceed the class rules..........for racing......

but it does a neater job than a downhaul.....

tom

[email protected]

David Brannigan
St. Petersburg, FL

Boat Name: Nixie

Model/Year: 1991 Catalina 28

Hull No. 152

Hailing Port: St. Petersburg, FL
09/10/2005 5:44 AM Pacific Time

I'm interested in adding a cunningham, please send me a copy of your email with pictures as well, if you don't mind.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/11/2005 11:19 AM Pacific Time

I also would like any information on installing and using a Cunningham. I have a 70's vintage C 22 and my son-in-law would like to get into racing at Carlyle Lake in Southern Illinois. I am always looking for sail trim tips and other lore.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Guenther
[email protected]
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
09/12/2005 3:29 PM Pacific Time

Check out www.harken.com, they have a program called compu spec which makes recommendations and advises hardware
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
09/13/2005 6:47 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Phillip, I will. I typed Cunningham sail trim into Google and got all kinds of interesting information. What a powerful tool.

Greg
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
09/14/2005 3:26 AM Pacific Time

From decades of racing keel boats and now the proud owner of a swing-keel-trailer-sailer,I find that when it's time to flatten the main it's time to reef.The sail holds it's shape very well and a jiffy reef is easy to install and fast (AND SAFE) to use.For what its worth.....cheers.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/15/2005 5:51 AM Pacific Time

After looking a Harken I think they over due what you need for a Cunningham, which is a luff tighening rig when you cannot pull the boom down passed a max length mark on the mast. It really does not take that much force to take out the wrinkles so a simple line passed through the kringle fastened on the mast and the pulling end lead back toward the cockpit long enough to drop into the hatch with a cleat to hold it is all that is necessary. I just use a hook to hang in the kringle.
For what it's worth, Al Ge
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
09/15/2005 8:35 AM Pacific Time

I went to the Harken site and it looked to me like their diagram showed the cunningham connection going to what I would think is the first reef point. Maybe I'm not looking at the thing right. I agree with what Al said, wouldn't a line led down to the cabin top or bottom of the mast do the same thing? Do you need all that tackle??

John
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
09/16/2005 3:52 AM Pacific Time

john and al are both right,you don't need a down rigger to go brook fishing...keep it simple....out.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Do I need a cunningham and where to install