Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cockpit floor hatch-storage

Author Cockpit floor hatch-storage
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
12/17/2005 1:27 PM Pacific Time

During my winter re-wiring project I discoverd an immense amount of unused space in the rear of Time Out directly below the cockpit floor. This space is all but inaccessible normally. Has anyone installed a deck-mounted access hatch in the floor of their cockpit? This space would be great for anchors, or little used items that nevertheless need to be close at hand.
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
12/18/2005 5:00 AM Pacific Time

Yes,I had the same thoughts of trying to get creative with wasted space,have done nothing yet but fully intend to.There is too much weight in the stern and none forward,so for sure moving the battery(s) in a good first step.Huge space behind the seat-back in the setee,I have it jammed in place now without screws but intend to make it fully funtional stowage...._\)..._\)
_\)...._\)
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
12/18/2005 5:05 AM Pacific Time

Oh yes Merry Christmas Oregon from the other side of the continent...might get some ice-boating in this year...hope so...cheers.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
12/19/2005 8:19 AM Pacific Time

Sean,
I would be concerned about sealing a hatch in the cockpit floor. It would need to be bullet proof watertight in case the cockpit drains get clogged or for sailing in rough weather.

I admit it is hard to get to but it is sort of accessable from the seat hatches. I stow my engine oil, funnel and other gunky stuff in a large galvanized pail that lives down there.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

12/20/2005 8:36 AM Pacific Time

I completely agree. I was also worried about the structural integrity of the floor as well. I think I'll skip it and look for ways to improve access. Thanks!
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
12/21/2005 10:57 AM Pacific Time

There are aluminium watertight hatches with frame available for commercial boats. Pretty simple installation, flush to the floor, and really strong and watertight.

Check them out:

http://www.baierhatch.com/ourhatches.html

Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

12/22/2005 5:53 AM Pacific Time

Thank you for the response and the tip. These are very cool. Any concern about degrading the structural integrity of the hatch floor?
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
12/23/2005 7:31 AM Pacific Time

I think when the hatch is bolted to the floor with a good backing (3/4 in. plywood like Bryunzeel or Okume - or aluminium - would work) it would be strong enough. The hatch frame is pretty strong and it would span the cockpit.

It would be easy to add floor beams under the cockpit fore and aft of the hatch, either glassed or bolted to the cockpit floor.

If you wanted to carry elephants, two aluminium 4" angles across under the cockpit, bolted through the hatch frame in the middle and the cockpit floor on the ends, one at the forward side of the hatch and one aft........

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cockpit floor hatch-storage