Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Turnbuckles

Author Turnbuckles
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
03/02/2006 12:43 PM Pacific Time

Moon Glow has the original shroud/stay turnbuckles.. Those @$# plastic nuts, used to secure the ends are cracked! Questions: 1. What size - thread are they, 2. Where do I get LH & RH nuts, preferably stainless steel & 3. Using the new ss nuts, do I need split washers to snug?

I currently have all the original plastics and have to tape them after setting before each sail.. Add to that I trailor to each port (no slip) so there is a lot of hassle to setup and retune each time.

Responses welcom ;-0

Blaine
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
03/03/2006 5:31 AM Pacific Time

My advise would be to replace the turnbuckles with the "open" style. You can then use scar pins to lock them in position. Of course you could always use cotter pins or ring clips. The problem with the closed turnbuckles are that you can't see the condition of the thread and any corrosion. CD sells them and I am sure there are other sources too.
Thomas Lang
North Granby, CT

Boat Name: Puravida

Model/Year: C27/1981

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Noank, CT
03/03/2006 6:08 AM Pacific Time

Blaine:

I would suggest that you go to the open turnbuckle as well. I replaced all my standing rigging and went to all open turnbuckles, and adjustment and maintenance is much easier. I also think they look better. I deal with a local company here in CT that manufactures SS items for marine and architectural use. Check out http://www.csjohnson.com/ for more information.

Tom
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/03/2006 7:12 AM Pacific Time

West Marine has right and left hand 1/4-20 nuts for those turnbuckles, and I don't think it is absolutely neccessary to use split locks but I do use them. It takes few extra turns to tighten each time but I count the turns to loosen the lower forwards so that I can get back close to right tension without total retuning.
Also, you should use some anti-seize compound/grease that CD supplies and maybe WM also, it is a must if you keep the old ones. Right now I have both, since I haven't changed out the uppers and aft lowers yet.
Al Ge
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/03/2006 7:29 AM Pacific Time

Hi Blaine - Let me echo what others have said. You are way overdue for a whole set of new rigging, including turnbuckles. If you have a West Marine store near you, you can get everything you need and with help, actually do the work yourself, using their rigging bench. I thought I had a writeup on chipford.com on how to do it, but I can't find it right now.

By the way, SCAR pins are available here. http://www.apsltd.com/ Search the site for scar pins. The 1/16 inch work fine. You just have to shorten them slightly and trim off some of the velcro strap to allow a one inch PVC shroud protector to slip down over them. Since you trailer sail, I recommend you use them on the forward lowers and forestay. The uppers and aft lowers can be left unadjusted and pinned with cotter pins. (A good alternative is a short lengths of solid copper wire through the stud holes and wrapped once around the body of the turnbuckle.

Once you use scar pins, you will never go back to cotter pins again.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
03/03/2006 7:30 AM Pacific Time

Blain,
This is a little off topic but you said you were concerned about the rigging time because you trailor your boat. I had the same problem so I bought the quick release hardware from CD (#D1844) for the forestay and both forward lower shrouds. When opened, they add about 3 inches to the shroud length so a release pin can be easily removed. I do not loosen the upper shrouds nor the aft lowers when raising or lowering the mast. Really speeds up the rigging / derigging time and I only need to tune the shrouds about once a year. I also made some oversize turnbuckle covers out of PVC tubing to fit over the quick release mechanisms.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/03/2006 8:37 AM Pacific Time

Oops, those are 1/4-28 nuts, not the 1/4-20 I said above.
Al Ge
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
03/04/2006 8:51 PM Pacific Time

Thanx all!!
Dick, the Moon Glow standing rigging has been replaced many times over the past 30+years, and is currently 1/8 inch. Also, I have changed out ALL chain plates using a complete set of newer (larger diameter, shorter lengrh and has two screws) parts scavanged from a dead C-22. Add to this, stainless steel backing plates on all lower shroud chain plates. Finally, I had someone weld a special plate/eye for the bow forstay, used a turnbuckle and attahed to a new U bolt (removed original bow eye).

The only things left are the turnbuckles.. and they are in remarkably good shape, threads and all. I am now enlightened by the possibility of the replacements being the open type described in this thread. Oh, and I will be adding a split backstay eventually.

PS I have a new style mast, new mast step, new masthead, new spreaders & stainless steel brackets and halyard exit sheves (factory parts).. and internal halyards - all rope. All of which I installed, as when I received the replacement mast, it was only a "stick". The PO's hit a tree branch and killed the old mast.. I got this boat "mastless".

Blaine

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Turnbuckles