Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast is not straight

Author Mast is not straight
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
05/06/2006 8:55 PM Pacific Time

Hello sailors, I have a 1984 22 that I aquired last fall. Today I decided it was time to start working on my project, I purchased the internal all line halyard kit and want to strip and pain the spars after cutting the appropriate hole for the halyard installation. My question is this I noticed that the mast (once stripped of all hardware) was not straight in about a three foot section approximately 5 feet up from the bottom end of the mast. There seems to be about a 3 foot section of the mast that is bowed. This oddity is opposite of the sail track, (forward side of the mast). The deviation seems to be at worse 3/4 of an inch at the center of the bend. How bad is this? Should it be corredted? Can it be corrected? How?
The plan is to trailer sail for a couple of years then get into somefleet racing once I get the mods done and some time on the water.

Thanks
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/07/2006 12:07 PM Pacific Time

We were just talking about straightening mast after we got "lighteninged" off the lake yeaterday, and had a long wait and beer drinking time until supper. Gene Fergusson related that he straightend mast by setting it between a couple of trees. Then with a string to gauge a straight line he measured how far he pushed toward straightening, then when relaxed he noted how far towards straight it had moved, three or four more measured pushes, and he had it straight.
I straighened my mast that bent when I frove under a tree, but my technique was to tie a chain from one end to an equal distance the other side of the maximum bend. Then with a jack pushing between the mast and the chain I got it straight, of course it has to be over pushed and relaxed and few times to creap up on it and not over bend.
The point is that it is not a monumental job to straighten a mast.
For what it is worth,
Al Ge
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Hull No. 10614

05/07/2006 12:18 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Al for the Advise. I was thinking along the same direction as far as bending it back between a couple of trees. I have done that technique with other items of misfortune but wasn't sure that it would be appropriate to do the same with my lightweight mast. I like the chain and jack I like the jack and chain idea I think I'll borrow from both and see what I can rig up in my garage. You got me wheels turning now I just though that maybe I can put my floor press to use in this situation. I'll let you know,

Thanks again for the advice.
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Hull No. 10614

05/07/2006 12:19 PM Pacific Time

I too should check what I type before I push any bottons. (:-(
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/08/2006 6:18 AM Pacific Time

I think working slowly and carefully with as many extra hands to look for the right spots to push and pull on makes it an easy job.
Good luck, Al Ge

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast is not straight