Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Crossection

Author Mast Crossection
Bailey Edwards
Washington, DC

Boat Name: Puffin

Model/Year: C-22/1987

Hull No. 13997

Hailing Port: James Creek Marina, Washington, DC
09/05/2006 1:44 PM Pacific Time

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me where about the VHF antenna and anchor/steaming light wires were housed inside the mast.

I'm thinking of mounting some bracket-mounted outdoor stereo speakers on the port and starbord sides of the mast pointing back towards the cockpit (below the reefing cleats). The idea would be to drill 2 holes on either side, vertically about 3-4" apart. Then, using my threading tool, thread the aluminum mast for some apropriately sized brass screws (probably only 1/4 inch long). But I don't want to inadvertantly sever the wires inside the mast, or risk hanging up the halyards, so it would be helpful to know where to avoid drilling.

Anybody have any experience with this type of project and/or broken masts (an unfortunate way to discover what the crossection looks like)? Any description/diagram help would be great.

Thanks!

Bailey

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/05/2006 2:13 PM Pacific Time

Here is a suggestion regarding the speaker idea. You might want to purchase very small box speakers from west marine or some other outfit. I fit a speaker in each cockpit coming pocket. They are out of the way, protected from the weather and only require an 1/8 hole in the pocket for the wires. The sound is great. The speakers are held in place with velcro.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
09/06/2006 2:14 AM Pacific Time

I mounted at compass on the mast by fixing two aluminum slugs to a stainless plate, then screwing the compass to the plate. Could do the same with the speakers without drilling a hole. In the long run I think the speaker idea would end in tears, though, since they'd get knocked and your sheets could tangle in them.

Paul
Roger Richter
Bloomington, WI

Boat Name: NAVY - TOO

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1978

Hull No. CTYH8241M78F

Hailing Port: Prairie du Chien, WI
09/07/2006 2:46 PM Pacific Time

Bailey, Why go to all the bother mounting speakers on the mast or otherwise outside? I have two large oval speakers mounted in my cabin completely out of the way of everything and the sound is great inside and outside the cabin. It is especially great while sailing with the cabin open to the cockpit. I doubt if you could improve the acoustics by putting the speakers outside anywhere. Roger
Bailey Edwards
Washington, DC

Hull No. 13997

09/08/2006 1:57 PM Pacific Time

I appreciate y'all's insight. I think I'm gonna still go with the mast, mainly for dock party versitility. Good call on the rigging (and by extension, pop-top) advice. I'll definitely have to be careful about that when mounting.
Bailey Edwards
Washington, DC

Hull No. 13997

10/04/2006 7:54 AM Pacific Time

Success!

Mounted them about 5 inches above the deck, and the shrouds do a great job of keeping the jib sheets out of the way. Plus, they deliver great sound. Shoot me an email at baileyedwards123 @ yahoo . com if you'd like to see some pictures of the setup.

Wired for sound,
Bailey

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast Crossection