Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bootstripe repair / removal

Author Bootstripe repair / removal
Wallace Ting
Queens, New York

Boat Name: Teacher's Pet

Model/Year: 1988 Wing Keel

Hull No. 14571

Hailing Port: Queens, New York
10/02/2006 7:17 AM Pacific Time

Hi guys, thanks for all your help on the gelcoat scratch repair question, it helped me immensely.

On my boat I have a large blue stripe which runs around the hull near the bottom, and a smaller red stripe running around the boat at the top.

Are these stripes painted onto the gelcoat, or are they gelcoat themselves? How can I tell if I'm unsure?

The stripes are pretty faded in some parts and have scratches in others. What would be the best way to try and fix them?

If they are gelcoat - should I dye the gelcoat that color and apply? I think it would be difficult to get a good color match.

Should I remove the stripes entirely and reapply? How could / should I remove them?

If they are paint - should I just paint over them? What paint material should I use?

Many thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.
Bill Burke
Plymouth, Mass

Boat Name: Irish Wake

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11499

Hailing Port: Plymouth, Mass
08/09/2008 9:58 PM Pacific Time

I'm hoping someone chimes in only becuase I have all the same questions about my '83 C22. I need to sand and re-do the antifouling paint and also thinking about putting on a few coats of polyglow. I'm just not sure what to do with the stripes (under the rubrail and the stripe just above the current anti-fouling paint.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bootstripe repair / removal