Swing Keel Replacement

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Swing Keel Dimensions

Author Swing Keel Dimensions
Tom
Connecticut

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/20/2007 9:51 PM Pacific Time

I recently got a 1982 catalina 22 off my buddy. The catch was I can take it, with the knowledge that the swing keel was lost at sea. Now fab'in up a new keel isent my problem, my problem is i cant find dimensions of this swing keel year to save my life. The best I could do was find out that it was 550lbs, which is a good starting point but really isent enough. So im looking for someone who knows the dimensions of this years swing keel. I want to make this replica as close to the original as I can, dimension wise. So if someone who has dropped their keel, if you could measure every little aspect of the keel as you can that would be awsome. I need dimensions such as thickness, width, length, as well as distances and angles to critical locations. Every little doodle is helpful. Photos with a scaled object next to the keel can be one of the most helpful ways because I can then reverse engineer the distances and you wont have to measure every little aspect, a picture really is worth a thousand words sometimes. So if anyone can help me out that would be great because im really in a corner right now.

Thanks again,
Tom
Ken Haygood
Tyler, TX

Boat Name: Sea Lark

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port: My Garage
06/17/2007 6:38 AM Pacific Time

Have you thought about just making a new one of your own design?

My cable broke and I want to drop the front down and check the pin to see if it needs replaceing before sailing it, so it's stuck on the trailer at the moment. I can go out and make some rough measurements for you, but just with it sitting on the trailer.

My plan is to fix mine as it is just to get it sailing, but then to make a new keel at some point. I don't plan on racing, so I don't care about rules. Given a 550 pound chunk of cast iron, one could do much better with probably less than 400 pounds of lead in the bottom 10 inches and a relatively light composite structure above it.

I haven't gotten serous about the calculations yet, but since lead weighs 700 pouds per cubic foot and cast iron only 450 pounds, one should be able to make a keel with much more of the weight (proportionately) at the bottom end, giving you a more effective lever arm to keep the boat upright (weight further from the center of boyancy?).

I've also read from others here that the original foil shape of the keel is not very effective, and this could make a big difference in the necessary area of keel needed to get the job done of countering leeward drift.

If I could make a foil that was just 10% more effective than the original in creating lift, I suppose I could cut the cord of the keel down from about 15-16 inches to maybe 14 inches. This could reduce drag, etc.

I'm hoping to make some speed measurements with my boat as it is, then with the bottom redone (bubbled and old currently), then with a new keel, then potentially an airfoil instead of a sail, etc.

What would be really cool to consider is making a trimaran out of your boat instead of making a new keel!! If I lost a keel, I think I'd do this. You might double your sailing speed, or better.

Ken
john stoner
ocala,fl

Boat Name: nita

Model/Year: c-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: ocala,fl
10/14/2009 3:21 PM Pacific Time

call catalina yachts and get drawing let me know hoh you do
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
10/14/2009 4:34 PM Pacific Time

Tom,
I don't have dimensions, but there are a ton of photos from when I dropped my keel here:
http://dumbo.torrisi.org/gallery/Keel-Project
Some standard dimension lumber was used to build the cradle/cart and might make a good reference point.
As far as the shape of the foil, Compukeel has templates as well as the CD refinishing video.

Hope that helps.
David
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
10/15/2009 1:18 PM Pacific Time

You have a couple of other options.

First, you can buy a new keel from Catalina Direct. The cost of the keel is reasonable (particularly in light of how cheap your boat was) but depending where you are in the country, freight could be an issue. A couple of years ago I debated whether or not to have my old pitted keel sand blasted and encapsulated in fiberglass or just buy a new one. With shipping from California to Georgia, a new keel was around $1500 or so. I had mine repaired for just over $1000. If your boat is in good shape this expenditure may be justified.

Second, keep your eyes on this forum, check sailing magazines,Craigslist etc. Sometimes you find a boat that is being dismembered for parts and the keel might be one of those parts. You could also email all the C-22 Fleet Captains to let them know you need a keel and ask them to keep an eye open for you.
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
10/16/2009 11:39 AM Pacific Time

Have extra old keel. Needs bushing.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/16/2009 10:14 PM Pacific Time

Tom, you should jump on that MD keel. It would be way cheaper to drive to MD and back than to pay the shipping. Also, the previous post about putting something out to the C22 fleets and using Craigs List "Wanted" category. I recently came across a gentleman near Sacramento, CA who bought a 2nd C22 which had been holed below the water line, just for the mast as it was cheaper than having a mast shipped. He was parting out the rest of the boat, but then I lost his phone number.
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
10/17/2009 9:46 AM Pacific Time

See Steve's post. Rent a small U-Hall trailer and plan a weekend drive to Maryland. This is your best bet.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/18/2009 7:14 PM Pacific Time

Sounds like you may have the skills to fabricate your own keel, but one thing I meant to mention, is if you fabricate your own keel, it will not be class legal for racing according to the C22 NSA rules which states the keel must be manufactured by the builder. No big deal if you don't want to race, but it must be disclosed to the next buyer which could significantly decrease your re-sale options, as opposed to having a Catalina Yachts manufactured keel. Just something to think about.
Dan Scherer
Austin, TX

Boat Name: Wind Player

Model/Year: swing keel

Hull No. 4444

Hailing Port: Austin, TX
11/08/2009 5:00 PM Pacific Time

I have a swing keel in Austin Texas if anyone is interested. I can even deliver it locally if needed.
Dan

email me if interested

[email protected]
nurse_jer
detroit, mi

Boat Name:

Model/Year: catalina 25/1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/29/2010 5:30 PM Pacific Time

If Steve still has the swing keel please contact me. I also have a cat on land without the swing keel.
[email protected]
Dave Dias
Brookfield Ohio

Boat Name: Double D

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ashtabula Ohip
12/29/2010 5:30 PM Pacific Time

If Steve still has the swing keel please contact me. I also have a cat on land without the swing keel.
[email protected]
Dave Dias
Brookfield Ohio

Boat Name: Double D

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ashtabula Ohip
07/15/2011 6:28 PM Pacific Time

Okay, getting old here but need a swing keel for Cat 22 1974. Tried of being dry docked.. Help [email protected]
nurse_jer
detroit, mi

Boat Name:

Model/Year: catalina 25/1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/15/2011 6:28 PM Pacific Time

Okay, getting old here but need a swing keel for Cat 22 1974. Tried of being dry docked.. Help [email protected]

Swing Keel Replacement
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Swing Keel Dimensions