Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How do I replace C22 spreader tubes?

Author How do I replace C22 spreader tubes?
John Wheeler
Sydney, New South Wales

Boat Name: Serene 2

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22 (C22 Mk I) 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sydney
04/15/2007 11:22 PM Pacific Time

I have a broken mast spreader on my 1977 C22 (actually the Australian version, the Boomaroo 22). The tube is still stuck in the spreader base (stainless steel), but I'm not sure how to go about replacing it. The bases appear un-damaged.

Are the spreader tubes attached to the bases purely by a compression fit? The ends of the tube near the base are covered by a sticky resin-like substance, which I assume is something to do with keeping the tube in place.

Can anyone give me some information on the correct procedure for replacing the spreader tubes?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Best Regards,

John Wheeler
Sydney, Australia.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/16/2007 4:41 AM Pacific Time

Hi John,
I am assuming that your spreadrs are the same as the Catalina 22 and also that they are not from the older style mast that had aluminum spreader brackets.

It could be that the sticky substance is :
Tef-Gel Anti Corrosion Gel
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1007
and is not a problem.
The spreader tubes generally have a cotter pin that holds them in place.
Remove the pin and the broken tube should come out.
I would check the spreader brackets on the mast to see if they are aluminum. I doubt it because I think that Catalina changed this before 1977 to Stainless. But if so, replace them with the newer stainless steel ones. I would also check for any deformities to the brackets that may have happened when the spreader tube broke. I think that for this job (The tube) , I'd use original equipment. You may also want to consider a new spreader boot kit if yours are getting older .

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How do I replace C22 spreader tubes?