Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Speed Log Placement.

Author Speed Log Placement.
Russ Hauser
Tavares, FL

Boat Name: Serenity Now!

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. CTYH1337M82L

Hailing Port: Lake Harris
04/25/2007 1:26 PM Pacific Time

I have a Raymarine ST40 speed log and want to be sure I know the best position for the transponder before I bore a 2 inch hole thru the bottom of the boat. My boat is a 1982 and I plan to place the transponder near the aft bulkhead in the aft storage compartment under the "V" berth. The transponder will be to the Starboard, about 2 or 3 inches off the center. Does anyone find fault with this installation?
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
05/12/2008 7:17 PM Pacific Time

I realize it's been over a year since you asked this question, Russ? I have the same question. Also, is it better to place the transducer forward of the keel or maybe behind the cable, half way to the transom? Third, has anyone tried mounting a knot meter on the transom, near the centerline?
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
05/13/2008 8:03 AM Pacific Time

I don't have a knot meter, but a friend does who I sailed with in the North Channel. When I read your question it made me think of where his knot meter is and now, why he may have placed it there. His is on the transom, just to one side of the rudder. At this location, he can climb down his ladder, also mounted on the transom, and easily clean the propeller on the meter. I didn't much about it at the time, but now I see the advantage.

Bob
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
05/13/2008 8:39 AM Pacific Time

There's less disturbed flow just forward of the keel and that's where I've seen most paddle wheel types installed. FWIW, a GPS is a good choice for knowing speed, etc. and no holes in the hull required!
David
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Hull No. 11735

05/20/2008 10:35 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for your comments, guys. I'm still thinking I might put it at the transom since I hate drilling holes in the boat below the waterline. However, if I decide to drill forward of the keel, will the signals from my knot meter and depth gauge (also mounted there) interfere with each other? On the other hand, a buddy of mine mounted his about 2 ft. forward of the transom, and he gets a pretty accurate and consistent speed readings. How do you think placing the speedo there would work? I'm not a C22 rock-star, so perfection is not my goal. But I do want to get the most speed out of the boat that I can. Any parting thoughts before I fire up the drill?
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
05/21/2008 9:39 AM Pacific Time

Don't forget to consider launching and retrieving when deciding where to put the sender. It shouldn't interfere with your depth sounder, but you may want to verify with the mfrs. If you trailer, consider the bunks and if you haul out at a yard, consider the slings. I'd still opt for a gps solutions as you get more info for the same money and no holes to drill, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!
David
Pat Noonan
Fairhope, Al

Boat Name: Blue Dog

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Fairhope, Al
10/05/2008 3:44 AM Pacific Time

DON'T bore a hole. mount the transducer inside the boat beded in silicone. Use a toilet bowl wax ring to make a dam, sand a bit of the fiberglass to get a grip and then add a bit of silicone, place the "puck" and fill with silicone. Works a lot better and you don't have to worry about sanding off the face when you do the bottom. Best part is nooooo hole in the boat. ps if you don't like the placement....voila, change it with no problem.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
10/14/2008 4:00 AM Pacific Time

I believe that this transducer needs to have a hole as it is a thru-hull type. THey also make a transom mount version.
According to Raymarine's instruction manual:
The transducer should:
• Be ahead of the propellers (by a minimum of 10% of the water line
length ).
• Be at least 150 mm (6 in) away from the keel (ideally ahead of the
keel if a sailing yacht).
• Be as near as possible to the centre line of the vessel.
• Be clear of other through-hull fittings or projections.
• Have sufficient clearance inside the hull to fit the nut.
• Have 100 mm (4 in) of headroom to allow for withdrawal.
The transducer should be sited within the clear water flow areas
indicated by the shaded areas in the following diagram. (The diagram shows three applications. On the sailboat version, the transducer is located a short distance in front of the keel. On the outboard motorboat version, it is about 1/4 of the way in front of the transom/outboards.)

more:
http://www.raymarine.com/default.aspx?site=1§ion=2&page=1881
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Hull No. 11735

10/20/2008 3:35 PM Pacific Time

Guys,

I bit the bullet and drilled the 2" hole into the bottom of my boat, ahead of the keel. It actually turned to be fairly easy to do, and chamfering the hole to match the bevel of the thru-hull was also fairly easy to do with a small rasp. I bedded the thru-hull using 3M 4200 and tested it with a pressure hose the following day. I haven't launched yet since I'm still working on my keel, but I'll report the knotmeter's performance when I finally get the boat back into the water.

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Speed Log Placement.