Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cracked Gelcoat Repair - any of the epoxy products work better??

Author Cracked Gelcoat Repair - any of the epoxy products work better??
Jeff Fongmie
Freedom, NH

Boat Name: Surprise

Model/Year: 22 1986

Hull No. ???

Hailing Port: NH
06/10/2007 4:08 PM Pacific Time

Hi everyone, I just purchased a great boat, except for an 8 inch long section of gelcoat down on the cockpit ploor at the corner radius (just under the battery compartment door). I crawled behind there, and the underlying fiberglass is very solid.

I plan to get behind and reinforce the fiberglass with cloth and epoxy resin just in case. However, I'm wondering the best method for repairing the broken up gelcoat. It's about 8 inches long, by half inch of cracked up gelcoat. I guess I'll clean it up, remove broken sections of gelcoat then reapply some gelocoat paste.

I'm wondering if there's any better products on the market for this repair? I've used the epoxy-putty sticks with some success before, however I don't want to paint this so I'm questioning the long term performance in the sun.

I want the durability, adhesion and strength of epoxy, but want UV protection too.

Thanks for any insight into this. Opinions helpful.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
06/10/2007 7:55 PM Pacific Time

What is the cause of the cracks? Are they stress cracks, gelcoat crazing, detachment voids or were they caused by trauma? You say you can remove broken sections of the gelcoat which would indicate to me that its either a detachment void (rare) or trauma. The cause of the damage is going to determin what type of reinforcement or repair (if any) the area is going to need.
As far as repairing the gelcoat itself, I would stick with polyester based gelcoat unless you are planning to redo a large area. Remember that gelcoat will not adhere well to epoxy so be sure to use polyester based fillers if any external repair, filling or fairing is requiered.
Brian Duff
Glenview, Illinois

Boat Name: Windswept

Model/Year: Capri 22/2005

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Wilmette Harbor
10/24/2013 5:17 PM Pacific Time

I have a small crack/hole about 1in long just aft the base of the mast...happened today bringing mast down. Any suggestions on how best to patch/fill this would be greatly appreciated!

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Cracked Gelcoat Repair - any of the epoxy products work better??