Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mast Removal / Installation ?????????

Author Mast Removal / Installation ?????????
Christopher Dube
Mansfield Texas

Boat Name: Gypsey Girl

Model/Year: C-22 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Joe Pool Lake
07/08/2007 4:54 AM Pacific Time

I just removed our mast to install a Main Sail Furling system. My question is how easy should this mast removal and installation be. It seemed to be quite hard for the two of us. The boat was in its slip and we did it with out any custom rigging or anything. I do know that some people do this all the time. Any tips would be very welcome. Thanks. Chris.
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
07/10/2007 3:55 AM Pacific Time

Hi Chris,
The way I do it is to remove the two forward shrouds, port and starboard. Then remove the forestay and it is now free to come down towards the stern. Be careful that the turnbuckles don't get twisted and bend the T-bolts.

One person can do it without any extra rigging if they are strong and very careful but I advise using two. It is easier on the hard because the boat isn't rocking and an assistant can use the jib halyard to help lower it. The mast is probably at the most dangerous point about halfway because the side shrouds are not quite loose and the weight of the mast is getting to be more then. I have a stern cradle which I can raise to about 8 feet which attaches to the two rudder gudgeons.

There have been a few tricks and rigs:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/GerryStlouis.htm

With this bow pulpit rig attached solidly, one could also run the line back to a cockpit winch to help in raisin.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Mast Removal / Installation ?????????