Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Where to have a trailer built?

Author Where to have a trailer built?
John Eddington
Flower Mound, TX

Boat Name: Old Lady

Model/Year: C22/1982 Swing Keel

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Scott's Landing Lake Grapevine, TX
02/22/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Time

I live in North Texas and am looking for a trailer manufacture to have a trailer built for my 1982 C22 (Swing Keel). I'm not looking for a road trailer, just one to hall to between my house and the lake. I have searched the web and the discussion groups. I have found a manufacture in Georgia and Perfomance in Largo, FL, but I want something a little closer. Anywhere in Texas would be ideal, or even an adjacent state. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks, John Eddington

PS. I would buy a used one if I thought I could find one, but doesn't seem like there are any to be had.
Jim Johnstone
Austin, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Travis, TX
02/23/2004 7:01 PM Pacific Time

Try Magnum Trailers in Austin Tx or San Antonio. They can build you a C22 trailer from a used power boat trailer at low cost.

Jim
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
02/23/2004 9:41 PM Pacific Time

Any local welding shop should be able to help you.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
02/24/2004 5:49 AM Pacific Time

Hey John, I just bought a bass boat trailer on eBay and modified it in a couple of nights. For a swing keel you need 14-15" room for the keel. I took the existing screws for bunk boards and mounted them for a keel guide, then got some 13" bunk board brackets from Boater's World and mounted them to square tubing we welded to the trailer with 1/2" bolts. On a 600 mile trip it pulled like a dream. Here is a picture of the trailer (haha, note misspelling). http://usawaterways.com/flpix/tailerfl2.jpg I was really easy to do. It ended up costing me about $450 including replacing all the wheel bearings.

The scarp metal cutting and welding took about 2 hours. I can give you some more detailed photos or measurements if you need...
John Eddington
Flower Mound, TX

Hull No.

02/24/2004 7:29 AM Pacific Time

Bob,

What length of trailer is that in the picture from tong to tail, and what is the width? Also, did you do any calculations about where to position the boat regarding tong wait? Thanks for the idea.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
02/24/2004 11:05 AM Pacific Time

Here is a web page that shows a lot of my measurements. I hope it helps.

http://usawaterways.com/trailer.html

Bob
John Eddington
Flower Mound, TX

Hull No.

02/24/2004 8:19 PM Pacific Time

Bob,

I like your idea. I am now actively looking for a bass boat trailer.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a few questions over the phone. Please e-mail me your phone number or call me. My e-mail address is [email protected] or cell is 214-392-4899. Thanks John Eddington

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Where to have a trailer built?