Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Dinette table replacement

Author Dinette table replacement
Glenn Ruggles
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Bonita

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 8706

Hailing Port: Conroe Yacht Club
03/04/2008 11:49 AM Pacific Time

The table on my 1979 C-22 needs to be replaced -- it's pressboard covered with plastic laminate. This table also folds down to make the bed. Does anyone have suggestions on what material to use to make the replacement ? Starboard? Teak? Plywood? Thanks.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
03/04/2008 12:18 PM Pacific Time

Glenn,
I used a piece of birch plywood cut to the same shape. I added some of that 'iron on' edging you can find at home centers. Stained it to match and used copious amount of varnish to protect it. I don't have a picture handy, but I could get one if you need. It's nicer and lighter than the old one!

David
#4330 Dumbo
www.c22region10.org
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
03/05/2008 5:08 AM Pacific Time

I replaced mine as well. It has delaminated and was quite heavy. I replaced it with a 1/2" PVC foam sandwiched between two layers of 1/8" marine plywood (vacuum bagged with epoxy - see MainBrace last November, I believe). A teak molding was used on the edging.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/05/2008 5:18 AM Pacific Time

I lamented a 1/4" teak plywood to a 3/4" pressure treated plywood that I had laying around. I should have bought 1/2" Baltic or Russian birch. I sprayed on many coats of lacquer, sanding between some of them, looks really nice.
Al Ge
Glenn Ruggles
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Bonita

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 8706

Hailing Port: Conroe Yacht Club
03/18/2008 10:15 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the notes. Looks like the 3/4" birch plywood will work great.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Dinette table replacement