Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Second battery -shore power-solar charging

Author Second battery -shore power-solar charging
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
02/29/2004 11:27 AM Pacific Time

We are planning 4 -10 day crusies this summer and I am considering installing a second battery. My outboard motor has a 1985 generator and I'm not sure how well it works. Last year our battery died in about six weeks of minor use. We use running & anchor lights as well as cabin lights. Except for the dept finder, all electronics are handheld battery powered units.

Questions:
1. Due we need a second battery?
2. Is shore power a good idea while at our home marina?
3. In solar power charging a good alternative?

Thanks for your anticipated responses.

PS Lowell, this clubhouse site is the best!!!
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
03/01/2004 1:58 PM Pacific Time

answers are 1 yes , I have 4 ; 2 maybe but ; 3 takes care of it all
Mike
Sterling, VA

Boat Name: Sick Days

Model/Year: Cat 22 1993

Hull No. 15288

Hailing Port: Alexandria, VA
03/02/2004 5:10 AM Pacific Time

I added a second battery for a 8 day cruise I took last year. I also have a 5 watt solar panel to charge with. I had plenty for the week.
Mark Dauphinais
Harvest, AL

Boat Name: SoJourner

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14412

Hailing Port: Rogersville, AL
03/02/2004 7:13 AM Pacific Time

Mike,
How do you have the batteries (connections) and solar panel configured. I am a neophyte when it comes to electrical systems. I am planning for the North Gulf Coast Cruise in May and want to have sufficient juice for the week long trip.
Thanks,
Mark
Scott L. Shermeyer
Cherry Point, NC

Boat Name: Blue Nun

Model/Year: C22, 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cherry Point, NC
03/02/2004 3:18 PM Pacific Time

I spent an entire on my Catalina 22 with two group 27 batteries. The outboard required no juice, but also provided no juice. Careful considerations were given to amounts of time that specific devices (VHF, anchor lights, cabin lights, Nav lights, etc were actually powered on.)

How many Ah does your battery have in reserve?
How many hours will your cabin lights be on?
How many hours of darkness are there? Which may not be the same as the number of hours that your anchor light might actually be turned on.
If anchored in Coast Guard approved anchorage, then not necessary to burn anchor light.

Can any function be replaced by non-electric means? For example, I found that a single cabin light at night for plotting courses for the next day only needed to be on a minumum amount of time after dark. Summer provides light late into the evening and candle lanterns provide a nice ambience.

Temperature will also play a part in how fast your battery will discharge along with the relative age and quality of maintenance of the battery during its entire life.

The disadvantage of a second battery is that it will only take one single cell in either battery to destroy the charge in both batteries. It might be worth considering an upgrade to a group 27 deep cycle battery if you do not need any starting amperage for outboard engine.

I have my worksheet of power calculations from that trip. If anyone is interested, it might provide some more insight and ideas.

Scott
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
03/02/2004 10:26 PM Pacific Time

We believe that a second battery is nice but Not necessary. Each summer we spend a minimum of two straight months on our C22 (and never stay in a marina)and have never run the battery all the way down. Of course we have limited our use of power significantly. We have a standard 3 amp alternator on our outboard. We always make sure our deep cycle gel battery is no more than two or three years old!!! We do not routinely use the cabin lights for any length of time. Instead we use a large flashlight and shine it on the ceiling (or boom if we are in the cockpit). We use an independent anchor light that has its own battery. Basically we use the battery only for the dept finder (which is on all day), VHF radio (which is rarely on), limited use of lights, and stereo/cd player (on only during cocktail hour).
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
03/04/2004 2:11 PM Pacific Time

I have a number of digital photos of a dual battery installation aboard a new style. If someone would like to contact me offline I can email them.

Paul
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/04/2004 4:11 PM Pacific Time

If Randy hasn't taken his maintenance site down yet, (He is in the process of moving it) I highly recommend you send a set to him. ([email protected])
Rich Reisner
Fayston, VT

Boat Name: Meant 2 Be

Model/Year: C-22 1985

Hull No. 13049

Hailing Port: Charlotte, VT
03/04/2004 7:09 PM Pacific Time

Paul, I would like to see those digital pictures. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks,

Rich
Mark Dauphinais
Harvest, AL

Boat Name: SoJourner

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14412

Hailing Port: Rogersville, AL
03/22/2004 6:06 AM Pacific Time

Scott,
How did you do your power consumption calculations? I don't have much of an electrical need, but want to be sure that I have ample reserve for lights and radio.
Thanks,
Mark

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/19/2004 9:43 AM Pacific Time

12v marine deep cycle vs golf cart 6v pluses & minuses
12v discharges to 50% charge and is no good
2 X 6v GC discharges to zero and is good all the way down
Please enter the conversation on this topic for our boats I am about to replace my current battery.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Second battery -shore power-solar charging