Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Chipping on Deck

Author Chipping on Deck
Matthew Humphrey
Fajardo, PR

Boat Name: Way Gone

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/18/2008 12:48 PM Pacific Time

I have a catalina 25 and on the very front of the bow, there are large chips in the paint. I assume this is from the anchor or chain from a previous owner. Anyway, how can this be repaired?

Also, in a couple ares (Just in front of the forward hatch, on one of the seats in the cockpit) there are some very fine cracks - almost looks like a spider web. Someone told me they are stress cracks, and not really a problem. But they are inbetween the no-skid areas, so they didn't get covered when I reapplied non-skid. What can be done about these?
Thanks
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
04/19/2008 12:22 PM Pacific Time

They can both easily be repaired. The spiderweb cracks could be stress cracks or crazing. If they are stress cracks than the deck needs to be stiffened in that area.
I suggest that you get a copy of Hull and Deck Repair by Don Casey. That will tell you just about everything you need to know to fix your deck. Believe it or not, you will find that the hardest part is matching the color of the gel coat.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Chipping on Deck