Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising the Apostle Islands

Author Cruising the Apostle Islands
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
08/02/2008 9:16 AM Pacific Time

The 2008 Great Lakes Cruise gang would like to cruise the Apostle Islands in 2009. Are there any C-22 sailors out there who regularly cruise the Apostles who can help us with local knowledge of marinas, best times to cruise and best places to visit?

So far, we have interest from sailors in Detroit and Indianapolis (the usual Great Lakes Cruise Club). We would love to have some locals join us as well as those who just want to see the Apostle Islands.

Please respond online or to me directly at gendris at indy.rr.com
Wes Van Nurden
Chippewa Falls, WI

Boat Name: Puddle Jumper

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11164

Hailing Port: Lake Wissota, Chippewa Falls, WI
08/04/2008 8:47 AM Pacific Time

While I haven't cruised the Apostles for a few years there are some really great anchorages and bays. Just need to remember there are no real full protection anchorages from the weather. There are great two and three sided anchorages. It is a National Park so park rules apply. There is a Coast Guard station in Bayfield. An example of things to do: On calm days the caves at Devils Island are great for exploring by dingy, along with visiting the lighthouse.

A great cruising guide that covers the Apostle Islands quite well is "Superior Way:The Cruising Guide to Lake Supperior" by Bonnie Dahl. The Apostle Islands was her home stomping grounds.

Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
08/05/2008 6:33 PM Pacific Time

Thanks. I will definitely check out the cruising guide.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Cruising the Apostle Islands