This ladder latch is used on most Catalinas, from the Catalina 250, Catalina 30, Catalina 310, Catalina 320, Catalina 34, Catalina 36 through and including the Catalina 42.
The latch is secured to the vertical tube of the pulpit stanchion
with a through bolt. To latch, it pivots around the bolt and surrounds the adjacent vertical tube of the ladder.
• Overall length: 4-7/8"
• Height (not including the vinyl): 1-1/2"
• Height at "U" stop: 2-1/2"
• Distance from center to center on mounting pads: 1-11/16"
1) This latch is a replacement for the same latch used on the stern pulpit when the boat was built. It is not intended as a retrofit for earlier boats. Click on the additional photo below for an example of its use. Early boats use a Velcro strap that snaps permanently around the pulpit. When the ladder is raised, the strap wraps around both the pulpit and ladder then fastens to itself. See "May we also suggest" below for the Velcro strap.
2) Although the photos show the original latches with white vinyl coating, new replacement latches have black vinyl instead. Although the white looks better when it is new, two months later black will look better than white. Black also resists degradation by ultraviolet light better than white.
3) The mounting hardware is not included.