Our Blue Water Catalina 25 rudder is a massively strong rudder for offshore or other heavy weather use. It is extra long at 80" with a chord length of 15-1/2", 2" thick. This compares to 65-1/2" X 16" X 1-1/2" for the original rudder used on Hull #. This extra length keeps the rudder in the water even in heavy following or quartering seas. The greater chord length affords more control at high rudder loads.
The balanced shape moves the center of the rudder forward for a lighter helm. This rudder offers an improved shape which is a NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) 0012 airfoil. This airfoil is considered by many sailboat designers to be the ideal combination of maximum lift with minimal drag. Includes:
• Matching 1/2" pintles pre-installed at the factory.
Tiller shim kit. The shim kit provides for the use of your standard Catalina 25 tiller or...
• Select optional #E2016 2" wide heavy duty tiller that matches the thickness of the rudder.
Owners typically experience much lighter tiller effort, crisper tacking and improved pointing as a result of the improved airfoil section. You will experience better slow speed maneuverability while docking as well.
HDPE rudders are so robust that we can avoid the plywood packaging necessary when fiberglass rudders are shipped via UPS. This saves you a $50.00 packaging charge.
• Height: 80"
• Chord Length: 15-1/2"
• Thickness: 2"
1) This rudder is not the original factory rudder. Don't expect it to look like the original factory rudder. This rudder is not only made from a different material, but is also a different shape. The manufacturer of this rudder approached the design with a clean slate and created a rudder with optimal performance and a true NACA airfoil. The dimensions of this rudder will differ from your original rudder. It is the buyer's responsibility to decide if this rudder is appropriate for his of her boat and use.
2) Since there is some variation from boat to boat in its location, The tiller bolt hole must be drilled by customer to match his existing location and to provide the correct tiller angle for the helmsman For the Catalina 22 Sport for example, the hole in the rudder must be drilled a bit lower in order to raise the tiller so that it doesn't hit the the Sport's taller cockpit seats.
3) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
4) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this special order item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
5) This rudder does NOT include a tiller. It comes with shims to use your existing tiller, or you may order the extra wide tiller listed below.
6) This rudder is a high aspect ratio design. The blade will extend below the depth of a wing keel. For those who own a wing keel for its trailerability yet sail in deep water, this is probably not an issue. But if you sail in shallow lakes or a shallow bay like the Chesapeake, the extra draft may be an issue. If so, we have other options available. Please call our tech support staff so we can discuss options in detail.
7) When you order this special order item it sets off a chain of events like Willie Wonka in the chocolate factory. Once you turn the valve the chocolate is coming down the pipe. If you then decide you want caramel, the chocolate is still going to come out of the pipe. We can't put the Chocolate back in the pipe, so someone is going to have to eat it, and it's not going to be us! Your order can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into caramel, so please order carefully the first time!
• Caution: Never leave any rudder sitting in the sun in the back of your pickup. With half the rudder immersed while moored, water will dissipate any heat buildup. But while stored, heat may damage the rudder. A Fiberglass rudder may expand and split at the seams. A polyethylene rudder may warp. Always store your rudder out of the direct sun.