Our Catalina 250 Uni-Foil Kick-up Blue Water Rudder is the most advanced rudder of it's kind in the world. The all-stainless electropolished rudder head is immensely strong and torsionally rigid, with perfect balance and feedback for the helmsman. This Blue Water version is even more robust in every way for those sailors who like to push the limits of their boat. The vertical post, cheek plate thickness, chord length and blade thickness are all greater.
The Uni-Foil kick-up rudder also features our "one-line" uphaul/downhaul system which will raise or lower the rudder with one pull. The Patent-Pending design incorporates a 316 Stainless nitrogen charged gas strut for perfect blade control in all situations. The rudder stays down, but if an obstacle is encountered the gas strut allows the rudder to come up quickly, then reset itself to the fully down position.
The HDPE kick-up rudder blade is machined by a computer controlled milling machine from a single block. There is no fiberglass blade to split, chip or crack, and no wood or foam core to absorb water.
It is a true NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) 0012 airfoil design, offering maximum lift with minimum drag. Its balanced design reduces load on the tiller. You will experience both increased pointing ability and low speed maneuverability. You'll look forward to sailing closer to weather with reduced helm effort. This blade also rotates through a full 180 degrees for launching and mooring with ease. Beaching is now a joy instead of a chore. And no more dragging the rudder on the launch ramp!
Includes our deluxe tiller created using only the finest white ash with hard, dense and extra strong African mahogany. It's elegant shape and added strength make it the finest Catalina 250 tiller available. Also includes 1/2" pintle to fit the gudgeon installed on the Catalina 250.
HDPE rudders are so robust that we can avoid the plywood packaging necessary when fiberglass rudders are shipped via UPS. This saves you an additional $50.00.
Dimensions of the Blue Water Rudder:
• Vertical rudder post: 2" (standard rudder is 1-1/2")
• Blade thickness: 2" (standard rudder is 1-1/2")
• Chord length: 15-1/2" (standard rudder is 12")
• Overall HDPE blade length: 60" (same as standard rudder)
• Cheek plates: 10 gauge (standard is 11 gauge)
1) This rudder is not the original factory rudder. Don't expect it to look like the original factory rudder. This rudder is not only made from a different material, but is also a different shape. The manufacturer of this rudder approached the design with a clean slate and created a rudder with optimal performance and a true NACA airfoil. The dimensions of this rudder will differ from your original rudder. It is the buyer's responsibility to decide if this rudder is appropriate for his of her boat and use.
2) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
3) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
4) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!
• Caution: Never leave any rudder sitting in the sun in the back of your pickup. With half the rudder immersed while moored, water will dissipate any heat buildup. But while stored, heat may damage the rudder. A Fiberglass rudder may expand and split at the seams. A polyethylene rudder may warp. Always store your rudder out of the direct sun.