Our Catalina 250 Uni-Foil Fixed Blue Water Rudder is the most advanced rudder of it's kind in the world. This Blue Water version is even more robust in every way for those sailors who like to push the limits of their boat. Includes 1/2" pintles to fit the gudgeons installed on the Catalina 250. Also includes tiller shim kit that provides the proper width to reuse the standard 1-1/2" wide tiller. You might choose instead to purchase a new 2" wide tiller found in the related items below.
The HDPE fixed rudder blade is machined by a computer controlled milling machine from a single block. There is no fiberglass blade to split, chip or crack, and no wood or foam core to absorb water.
HDPE rudders are so robust that we can avoid the plywood packaging necessary when fiberglass rudders are shipped via UPS. This saves you an additional $50.00.
• Blade thickness: 2" (standard rudder is 1-1/2")
• Chord length: 15-1/2"
• Overall HDPE blade length: 69" (standard blade is 71")
1) This rudder is not the original factory rudder. Don't expect it to look like the original factory rudder. This rudder is not only made from a different material, but is also a different shape. The manufacturer of this rudder approached the design with a clean slate and created a rudder with optimal performance and a true NACA airfoil. The dimensions of this rudder will differ from your original rudder. It is the buyer's responsibility to decide if this rudder is appropriate for his of her boat and use.
2) At some unknown point in time, tiller steered Catalina 250s used a single piece U shaped tiller bracket. If your tiller has this bracket, then you will need to consider other options for making allowances for this thicker 2" rudder. See "May we also suggest" below for improved tiller traps which can be used in conjunction with the shims supplied, but will most likely require new holes in the tiller, so you might want to consider getting a new tiller as well.
3) Since these rudders are not original equipment and are a more advanced shape, they are not legal for class racing. This relieves us from having to duplicate the old rudder shape. Instead we can offer an improved shape which is an NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) 0012 airfoil. This airfoil is considered by many sailboat designers to be the ideal combination of maximum lift with minimal drag. Owners typically experience much lighter tiller effort, crisper tacking, and improved pointing as a result of the improved airfoil section. You will experience better slow speed maneuverability while docking as well.
4) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
5) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
6) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!
• Caution: Never leave any rudder sitting in the sun in the back of your pickup. With half the rudder immersed while moored, water will dissipate any heat buildup. But while stored, heat may damage the rudder. A Fiberglass rudder may expand and split at the seams. A polyethylene rudder may warp. Always store your rudder out of the direct sun.