For many years the Lewmar 16 was the optional self tailing winch used by the factory on the Catalina 22 and Catalina 25. It is also an ideal cabin top mounted halyard (and mainsheet) winch on the Catalina 27, Catalina 270, Catalina 28, and Catalina 30. In some circumstances it can also be used as the primary winch on a Catalina 27 if the heads'l is limited to a 110% jib.
For those unfamiliar with self tailing winches, they are excellent for short handed or single handed sailing. The self tailing mechanism on the top of the winch holds the line for you, yet when you crank the handle the sheet. is hauled in without the line stacking up on the winch. This allows one person to handle both the helm and the jib sheet.
All dimensions are the same on the 14ST and the 16ST including the power ratio with the exception of the height:
- Drum diameter: 65.7mm (~2-9/16")
- Base diameter: 121mm (~4-3/4")
- Power ratio: 15.8:1 (for every pound applied to the handle, 15.8 pounds are applied to the line)
- Fasteners: (5) 6mm (~1/4") flat head on 94mm (~3-11/16") circle
- Height (14ST): 121mm (~4-3/4")
- Height (16ST): 145.5mm (~5-3/4")
1) These winches are non stock items and will be special ordered for you. Please choose carefully! This is a special order item and may not be canceled, returned or exchanged after your order is submitted.
2) There will be a 50% non-refundable deposit charged to your card upon placing an order for this item. The balance will be charged when the item ships to you.
3) This item does not conform to our standard shipping price policy due to its weight. Please call for a shipping estimate.
4) When you order a special order item it sets off a chain of events like Willie Wonka in the chocolate factory. Once you turn the valve the chocolate is coming down the pipe. If you then decide you want caramel, the chocolate is still going to come out of the pipe. We can't put the Chocolate back in the pipe, so someone is going to have to eat it, and it's not going to be us! Your order can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into caramel, so please order carefully the first time!