Make it easy on yourself! Eliminate the friction and it will be easier to hoist sails and trim halyard tension to to control shape and accommodate changing conditions.
This is what David Brannigan sailing Catalina 28 #152 "Nixie" had to say about our ball bearing sheaves: "I've recently installed the ball bearing sheaves from Catalina Direct to my '91 Cat 28, and the improvement is awesome!. Now, I can raise the main from the cockpit by hand 7/8 of the way and only use the winch for proper luff tension. I strongly recommend these sheaves."
High strength Torlon bearings require no lubrication. Large diameter bearing race distributes the load over more bearings for low friction while under load. Hardcoat anodized aluminum. Compatible with mastheads on the Catalina 25, Catalina 27 and both Mark I flat side mast and Mark II air foil mast Catalina 28. Uses:
• Upgrades the original wire halyard sheaves on the Catalina 25 and Catalina 27 to ball bearing sheaves
• Upgrades the original line halyard sheaves on the Catalina 27 and Catalina 28 (with either the original flat sided mast or newer oval sided mast) to ball bearing sheaves
• Upgrade the outhaul sheaves in both the gooseneck casting and boom end casting to ball bearing sheaves on the Catalina 28, Catalina 30, Catalina 310, Catalina 34, and Catalina 36.
For the Catalina 25, switch from external to internal halyards and two sheaves are all you need, one for the main halyard and one for the jib halyard. Use two of your old sheaves as spacers or add a spare jib halyard for emergencies.
• Outside diameter: 2"
• Inside diameter: 5/16"
• Width: 0.40" (0.42" at the center bushing)
• Line diameter: 5/16" Krypton line
Will not fit Catalina 27s with hull numbers in the following ranges: 1421-1450, 2465-2549, 3101-3150, 3950-3999, 4701-4725, 5042-5051, and 5140-5149. These boats were not built in California and used a different mast. There may be other ranges as well that we have not discovered yet.