In the '70's and 80's sailing was a pastime supported by mom and pop businesses. Sailors all over Southern California knew Lowell North on a first name basis. And Signet Marine was the premier name in marine electronics. Well those times are gone. Instrument companies have been swallowed up by multinational defense contractors who make billions building patriot missiles and multi-million dollar radar systems...
Except for Signet. They are still a small company in Southern California building sailboat instruments. This depth sounder is a perfect replacement for thousands of round instruments installed in early Catalinas. Most of the companies who built round instruments are now out of business. But our depthsounder is a great replacement for several reasons:
• Each unit is vigorously tested and must pass extensive quality control standards before it is shipped.
• All units come with a two-year factory warranty.
• A "look forward" alarm feature extrapolates what the depth will be based on the current trend and warns you that you are going to run aground up to 20 seconds in advance.
• 4-1/2" round case (5-1/2" bezel) was the largest in the industry and therefore will fill the bulkhead mounting hole of almost any instrument.
• The flush mount thru-hull creates minimal drag. (Mushroom thru-hull available upon special request)
• The 2" diameter thru-hull fitting is as large or larger than most companies' fittings making it easy to retrofit in place of your existing instrument.
• Under normal conditions the SL172 Depthsounder is sensitive to bottom contour variations as small as one-tenth of a foot.
• Red night lighting can be wired to your running light circuit for good night time visibility.
1) This flush transducer is only appropriate when replacing an existing flush transducer. A new transducer installation requires a custom tool to bevel the hole. That tool is no longer available. See alternatives that use an easier to install mushroom under May we also suggest below.
2) Confirm the diameter of your instrument housing, instrument bezel and thru-hull transducer by measuring to ensure an appropriate fit before ordering.
3) This is a special order item. A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships. Signet instruments are not mass produced in China. They are made in California and bench tested individually for you in response to your order.
4) When you order this special order item it sets off a chain of events like Willie Wonka in the chocolate factory. Once you turn the valve the chocolate is coming down the pipe. If you then decide you want caramel, the chocolate is still going to come out of the pipe. We can't put the Chocolate back in the pipe, so someone is going to have to eat it, and it's not going to be us! Your order can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into caramel, so please order carefully the first time!