This traveler replaces your original, arched mid boom traveler. As you have probably noticed, the arch on the original traveler causes it to be difficult to adjust. The distance between the boom and the traveler increases as the car is eased away from the centerline of the boat. As a result, when the mainsheet is strapped in going to weather, the traveler will not move to leeward when the traveler control is released. This flat track eliminates the problem.
In addition, circulating ball bearings support the load on the traveler car without binding. Control lines and cleats provide a 5:1 mechanical advantage to bring the car to weather. Control line sheaves are a ball bearing design for reduced friction. The sheaves are integral with the car and integral with a specially machined end stop assembly. This special control sheave arrangement keeps the control lines close to the traveler so they don't interfere with the cabin vents located forward of the traveler. Even under high mainsheet. loads, one can trim the traveler car with ease.
The kit includes track, car, control sheaves, control lines, and stainless steel risers. The risers are the interface between the original angled molded in fiberglass risers (provided for the original curved track) and the new flat track. Two halves of the stainless risers are hinged at their outboard end so the angle perfectly matches the top of the existing fiberglass riser. Slotted holes in both halves of the stainless risers typically accommodate mounting without drilling any new holes in the boat.
• Rise from fiberglass riser to traveler: 4-7/8"
• Width of top plate: 1-7/8"
• Width of bottom plate mounting surface: 2-1/2"
• Overall width of bottom mounting pad: 3-3/16"
Track dimensions, Catalina 36's:
• Track length: 68-1/4"
• Overall length on deck with mounts installed: about 73" (each mount adds around 2-3/8" to each side of the track)
• Track width: 1-7/8"
• Track height, overall without hardware: 2-5/16"
1) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, just call 800/959-7245.
2) A 50% nonrefundable deposit will be billed when your order for this item is accepted. The balance will be billed when the product ships.
3) Be certain of the year of your boat and that you have a curved traveler track and angled fiberglass risers before ordering. Other versions fitting different risers are available upon request.
4) A modified version of this traveler is available for the Catalina (Yankee) 38 for the same price. Call our staff for more details.
5) This is a custom made part. You provide the information we need to build this product for you. Once you order it we are going to build it just for you, just as you asked. We never want to see it again, and no one else wants it either. So be careful and order it correctly the first time because it can't be canceled, returned, or magically changed into something different!