Tinted Plexiglas glazing in a silver anodized extruded aluminum frame.
Rolling changes were made to the deck molds of these models to accommodate this new hatch beginning in 1985 through 1987. It was in use in some models only through 1995, while in others it was used longer.
When purchased by Catalina Yachts, the vast majority of these hatches were ordered with a 1/4" thick lens. After time, as the plastic is weakened by the sun, we find 1/4" to be inadequate. When the crew steps on the hatch it cracks under their weight. All of the replacement hatches supplied by Catalina Direct are made with the thicker, stronger 3/8" lens. We also equip the hatch with dogs that can be latched from outside the boat so it is possible to close and latch the hatch from the foredeck. Sliding locks are supplied inside for security.
Bomar changed the design of this hatch's flange sometime in the 90's. It is now slightly smaller in overall dimensions than the original design, although the size of the cutout hole in the deck is essentially the same for both hatches. This means the flange will not have as much overhang onto the deck as the original. The position of the screw hole pattern has also changed slightly so the holes in your boat must be filled with epoxy and re-drilled. It also means a new lid will not fit an old deck flange. This entire hatch must replace the entire old hatch if the lid needs replacement.
In 2006, Bomar made another change to the hatch. The dogs are now a more contoured design on all extruded frame hatches. See the additional images for clarification.
The overall dimensions at the flange of the new hatch are: 27" X 20-7/8" X 22-1/8". The original hatch was 27-1/4" X 21" X 22-1/4".
• Capri 26
• Second generation Catalina 22 starting with hull #14195 in 1987 through hull #15343 in 1995
• Catalina 25
• Catalina 27
• Catalina 270
• Catalina 28
• Catalina 30
• Catalina 320
• Catalina 34 (early boats, early version of hatch w/o hatch adjusters)
• Catalina 36.
It is also possible that not every boat described above used this hatch. Please use the dimensions above and the photos below to verify which hatch is actually installed on your boat.
• Width aft x width forward x fore & aft
• Outside of deck flange: 26-3/4" x 22-1/8" x 20-7/8" (about 679mm x 562mm x 530mm )
• Outside of deck flange: (old, mid 90's and earlier) 27-1/4" X 22-1/4" x 21"
• Outside of lid: 27-5/8" x 22-5/8 x 21-5/8" (about 702mm x 575mm x 549mm)
• Hatch Opening: 24-1/4" x 19-3/8 x 18-1/4" (about 616mm x 492mm x 464mm)
• Cut out in the deck: 25-3/8" x 20-3/8 x 19-1/4" (about 645mm x x 518mm x 489mm)
• Height off of deck: 1" (about 24mm)
1) This item does not conform to the shipping table in the Shopping Cart. Additional shipping must be calculated. When you place your order we always call with a shipping quote before billing your card. For a quote in advance, call 800/959-7245.
2) An additional packaging charge also applies to this item.
3) No, this hatch will not replace the fiberglass hatch used on earlier boats. When this hatch was added, the deck mold was modified to accommodate the flat frame of the aluminum hatch. It is also not interchangeable with a Lewmar hatch. The deck cutout is a different size and shape for the two hatches. Bomar 1094-10AX